Skip to main content

Challenging local authority decisions

If you're working with a family who has been refused section 17 or is receiving inadequate support, read through our factsheets below on how to challenge this. 

Below are some letter templates advisers can use to contact local authorities. You are free to use these templates without reference to Project 17. However, if you have any questions or would like to discuss a case, please call our advice line on 07701 330 016.

Challenging the rate of support

If social services are currently providing support for your client, but the support is insufficient to meet the basic needs of the family, use this template to request a new assessment with a view to providing increased support.

Challenging a refusal to assess

If your client has already asked the local authority for support and has been turned away without an assessment, use this template to challenge the failure to assess.

Challenging an offer to accommodate a child only

If your client has asked the local authority for support and has been told that the only support available is to take the child into care, use this template to challenge that decision.

Challenging a referral to another local authority

If your client as approached a local authority with which they have a connection, or in which they are physically present, and has been told to go to a different local authority instead, use this template to challenge that decision.

We have tried to anticipate the most common problems when accessing support for NRPF clients, and have provided template letters accordingly. However, if you think it would be helpful for us to create templates covering other issues, please get in touch to let us know. You can email us at [email protected].

You can also find out more about making a complaint.

Cookie Notice

By clicking “Allow All”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation and analyse site use.

Back to top